Soapwort (Saponaria officinalis radix concisus) - It's hard to find a better example of the return to nature trend than the use of soapwort as a substitute for chemical soaps, shampoos and detergents. It is also, according to the second part of its name, a means used to support treatment. It is interesting that soapwort eaten in large quantities or used for wound compresses is poisonous. However, in small amounts, soapwort root is an extremely useful herbal raw material.
What properties does it have?
Traditionally, soapwort root, or rather a decoction resulting from its boiling in water, was used as its name suggests. Thanks to the saponins contained in the plant, it foams perfectly. However, these substances should not be introduced into the body in excessive amounts - then they can become harmful.
It is worth reaching for a soap dish:
- when someone is looking for a mild cleanser for fine hair and sensitive skin
- for people allergic to available soaps, gels and shampoos, as well as with very dry skin
- for washing - as before - delicate materials, including wool and silk
Under what circumstances is soapwort root used?
Our ancestors discovered washing properties as a side effect. Previously, this plant was used like many herbs - internally. Here are other properties and uses that soapwort root has:
- used to relieve cough, bronchitis and tracheitis, to facilitate expectoration - improperly used, in excess, however, it can irritate the respiratory tract
- to stimulate the work of the stomach, pancreas and gallbladder
soothing in some skin ailments and joint pain
as an ingredient in Middle Eastern cuisine - it is used, for example, in the production of halva
- For drinking, you can also use dried leaves of the plant, containing lower concentrations of active substances, and therefore not threatening overdose.
How to use it?
A decoction is prepared from this plant by boiling about a tablespoon of crushed root per cup of water for 10-15 minutes. You can soak soapwort for several hours beforehand.
A natural alternative to soap, washing powder or shampoo. It contains well-foaming saponins with delicate and hypoallergenic washing properties. It reduces greasy hair, increasing their volume and giving them a healthy look.